Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Greatest Blessing of All

"My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; He is mine forever." - Psalm 73:26
   
You know what I am really tired of hearing? Things like, "Dance with the Lord and He will let the right man cut in." and "A man should be so focused on God that the only reason he looks down is because God says 'that's her." and every other saying on Pinterest memes. Maybe I'm just bitter. Maybe I'm just someone whose been single too long with no husband in sight. But, regardless, these things get on my nerves. And, you know why? Because this sends the message that we should serve God to gain something.

I already did gain something. I gained eternal life through the blood of Jesus. We read stories like Job and we say, "Man, look how faithful Job was and God rewarded him." But, you know what? Job had no idea what the outcome was going to be. He had no idea that God would multiply everything he had. But, Job was still faithful. He still worshiped every opportunity he got. Job could have easily thrown in the towel and stopped serving God, but he didn't. And, not because he wanted something from God, but because he loved God! Imagine that! A love so awesome that it doesn't rely on these things we can receive but from simply loving God. 

These sayings also send the message that if we aren't getting the things we want, if we aren't getting that hot football player who loves the Lord, if we aren't getting that dream job making at least a hundred thousand dollars that something is wrong with us. And, you know what? Something is wrong with us. We are humans! We mess up, we say the wrong things, we laugh at the wrongs times, and we sin. Which is why if our blessings were based on us, we would never get them. But, blessings aren't based on us, they are based on our Father! Because He loves us. And, to thank Him we should love Him back. 

Okay, maybe one day you will get that dream job, maybe you will get a pay raise, maybe you will get that white picket fence you have always dreamed of. But, it won't be because you have done enough to earn God's blessings. It will be because He already loves you and wants what's best for you. Now I am not saying that you shouldn't love and serve Him every chance you get. But, love and serve Him because He is yours forever. Like the verse above says God is ours forever! God doesn't go away. He doesn't get tired of us. He doesn't run away at the first sign of a nervous breakdown. He doesn't run away at the first sign of our own weakness. He loves us and that is why we should love and serve Him. Not because we are trying to get something. 

God loves us so much that He sent His own Son to die on the cross for us. I can truly say that is the greatest blessing of all. So, I'm tired of dancing with God because I want the right man to cut in. I'm tired of running head on towards God in the hopes of crossing the finish line with a husband. From now on, I want to dance with God simply to enjoy His presence. I want to run straight towards God because His love is amazing. I want to daily soak in His words and His love and share His love with others because everyone deserves to feel the love God has for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment